Just because summer is looking like it's on it's way out (sob!) doesn't mean you can't still enjoy ice cream, right? Right! This creamy, indulgent, muffin-studded frozen joy can be homemade without an ice cream maker and takes only 20 minutes to prepare. I'll be honest, I did jump out of bed this morning to check on the final result and yes I did enjoy a bit of a breakfast party shooting these photographs for you.
My boyfriend's younger brother is incredibly proud of a pudding he created that involved crumbling up a muffin into some vanilla ice cream and smooshing it about until it created a double-dessert style frozen soup. I then came across a recipe that actually put blueberry muffins into a homemade ice cream mixture before freezing it - this needed to happen immediately. I decided to go for chocolate chip muffins instead of blueberry, otherwise I would have had to eat all the ice cream myself. Disaster, I know! I'll also admit that I bought shop bought muffins for this ice cream... fellow bakers, I'm sorry!
There's only 4 ingredients in this recipe; if you're watching your weight, please look away now. Get one massive tub of double cream, whip it up until thick and peaky, then fold it into a tin of condensed milk, vanilla essence and crumbled chocolate chip muffins. Spoon into freezer-proof tubs, swirl some chocolate sauce through and freeze for at least 5 hours. THAT IS IT. You will be in dairy heaven, I promise. The chunks of muffin freeze within the ice cream, giving it a delicious ice cream cake sort of taste. Sounds obvious, but I swear half of my childhood came flooding back with each mouthful. Arctic roll, anyone?
I'm now excitingly imagining the muffin-y ice cream combinations that could be created. Blueberry muffins with a blueberry jam swirl? Apple muffins with a ribbon of caramel and a sprinkling of cinnamon? Plain chocolate muffins with an orange zest ice cream? I think I'm going to need a bigger freezer.
- 600ml double cream
- 1 x 397g tin condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 chocolate chip muffins, crumbled
- Chocolate dessert sauce
- In a large bowl mix the condensed milk with the vanilla essence. Set aside.
- Pour the double cream into a separate bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Fold the cream into the milk mixture along with the crumbled muffin.
- Half fill a freezer-proof container and drizzle over some chocolate dessert sauce. Fill the rest of the tub with the ice cream mixture and drizzle some more sauce over the top. Using the handle of a spoon or a spatula, make gentle figure-of-8 movements in the ice cream to make a swirl effect. Do not over mix!
- Freeze for 5 hours or overnight.