The winter days may slowly be passing, but it's still bloomin' cold outside and sometimes there's nothing more I enjoy than cosying up to a bowl of steaming hot stew. Comfort food at it's finest, fat, juicy sausages and a pinch of chilli are the perfect addition to this simple meal.
I hadn't intended to post this recipe just yet - I was far too involved with wanting to eat it as soon as the 7 hours were up! However, my brother caught sight of my pre-cooked Instagram and requested I blog it. Lucky for him I was feeling hungry, but generous.
This is one of the rare slow cooker meals that I briefly cook some of the ingredients beforehand. Usually I'm all about chucking the lot in raw, letting it work its magic and getting on with whatever my day entails, but this lazy Saturday left me enjoying the crisping up of salami and herb-infusing of onions. You're going to want to brown the sausages, fry up the salami, soften the peppers in the sausagey juices, then cook the sliced onions in the oregano and chillis. The smells that'll start wafting through the house will make you want it to be dinner time already - even at 11am! Stick the sausages and onions in your slow cooker along with some chopped tomatoes, red wine, butter beans, tomato puree and a teaspoon of sugar. Give it a good mix and sprinkle the peppers on top. Finish with a layer of the crispy salami, pop the lid on and cook it on low for 7 hours.
This is delicious served with a dollop of sweet potato or cauliflower mash, or for the ultimate comfort go for full-on buttery mashed potato and a hunk of bread. Then snuggle up (the remainder of the bottle of red wine is highly recommended) and enjoy not being outside in the horrid wind and rain!
- 8 fat sausages
- 50g salami slices, cut in half
- 1/2 red pepper, thickly sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, thickly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 - 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 50ml full-bodied red wine
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 small tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Add the sausages and fry, browning on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the salami until crisp then remove. Fry the peppers in the juices until beginning to soften. Set aside with the sausages and salami.
- Fry the onion in the pan for about 5 minutes, adding a splash more oil if necessary. Add the oregano and chilli and cook for a further minute.
- Tip onions and herbs into the slow cooker, and add the chopped tomatoes, red wine, tomato puree, sugar and butter beans. Give a good stir then add the sausages, gently mixing again to cover.
- Sprinkle the peppers on top, followed by the crisp slices of salami. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Serve along with a good dollop of sweet potato, cauliflower or good-old buttery potato mash.